Meatless Walnut Loaf
This Meatless Walnut Loaf came as a result of my attending a Cooking Class, sponsored by a local Seventh-day Adventist Ladies group. After reading “The China Study”, I decided I would start “easing” into the vegan lifestyle.
But, being the carnivore that I am… I’m talking meat at every meal… I knew that replacing meat would be my biggest challenge.
The Cooking Class was an all day event starting with a vegan breakfast, vegan lunch, and vegan dinner. I enjoyed the food they prepared… it was great and they provided all the recipes.
This Meatless Walnut Loaf was served with steamed broccoli, and a green salad with vegan Walnut-Basil salad dressing.
3 c. cooked wild rice (or your rice of choice)
2 T. olive oil
1 finely chopped onion
1 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. raw sunflower seeds
1 c. chopped fresh mushrooms (I’ve used a small can of mushrooms)
1 chopped bell pepper
2 eggs or egg replacer
2 T. fresh Rosemary
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. Italian Seasoning
1 T. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
1 T. dried parsley
1 small can – tomato paste
1 small can – tomato sauce
salt and pepper (or dried basil) to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until tender. Set aside.
3. While onions are sauteing, in a small bowl, mix tomato sauce and tomato paste. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice and onions, walnuts, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, salt, pepper, egg, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, Bragg’s Aminos, parsley, and HALF of the tomato sauce/paste. Mix well.
5. Pour into 9X12 prepared pan. Spread the remaining tomato mix over the top.
6. Cook for 45 minutes or until a fork inserted in the middle shows firmness.
NOTE: This Meatless Walnut Loaf recipe makes a big loaf, so you may want to half the recipe or cook it in two pans and freeze one for later.
FYI… Being vegan didn’t work out for me, but we do go meatless 3 days a week.
If you’re looking for suggestions on eating healthier and even “greener”… check out my post How To Live a Healthier, Greener Life… 11 Simple Ways.
- Combine chicken, green onions, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and juice of half a lime in a large bowl.
- Mix until thoroughly combined, then form into 4 patties and spray each side generously with non-stick spray.
- Heat a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Grill burgers for 3-4 minutes a side, or until cooked all the way through.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each burger, then cover with a large pot lid, and allow to melt for about a minute.
- Remove burgers to a plate, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place each burger on a toasted thin bun, then top with guacamole.
- If you want to add guacamole, take an avocado, 1/2 t. garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste, and mash it all together with a fork.
Hope you will try these burgers and let me know what you think.